Wednesday 27 June 2007

Phones and GPS Devices

My company gave me a new cell phone today. Why is it that a phone weighing a mere 3 oz requires an 84 page manual that weighs more than the phone itself? Is Apple the only company that has figured out that devices should be so simple thick manuals are unnecessary?

For Christmas, I got a Garmin Vista Cx handheld GPS to take hiking and skiing with. This little device has 16 buttons (why so many?) and features the most counterintuitive menu system I've ever seen. There's this bright pink line on the display whenever it's on that ties back from wherever I am to the start of a hike I did 9 months ago. The compass display tells me how to get back to the start of that hike. Another display constantly tells me how far away the start of that hike is, and what direction it's in. All useless info I can't figure out how to turn off, because the 123 page manual -- which weighs more than the device itself -- is so badly written that I can't find out how to stop it.

I might just buy an Apple iPhone because I'll be able to figure out how to work it.

No comments: