Saturday 6 March 2010

Ski day 18: Surprisingly good

Vert: 10,525 m YTD cum vert: 188,489 m
Runs: 19 YTD Cum Runs: 322

I had low expectations (1 cm in 7 days?). But I was completely surprised. No, there's no powder to be found, but coverage remains fine, with fewer rocks than I found 2 weeks ago. There's a bunch of freeze-thaw going on, so it's best to stick to the groomers in the AM...



and also on runs in the shade, at least until the temps create softening. And it was nice and warm in today's bright blue sun -- +4° at Divide Base at 2 pm -- but aside from the parking lot, I found no real melting nor slop. Instead, you get that sugary silky ground up snow that skiers create. Even the really hard scraped bits were carveable in the afternoon.

For a change, we got over to Standish today. I don't ususally get there because of a plethora of boarders and relatively low vert. But it did give me the opportunity for photos from a different perspective than I usually get.



No comments: