Wednesday 5 September 2007

New Guitar on the way

I have been very happy with my Yamaha acoustic electric that I got late in 2005, but the more I play it and try to record with it, the more I realized I needed some kind of electric guitar. I started to research, and learned a lot about single coil vs humbucker pickups, Fender vs Squier and Gibson vs Epiphone. I was leaning towards some kind of Strat style guitar with an HSS pickup configuration when I stumbled upon the Variax. It's 25 guitars in one, in that it models the sound of many guitars, including all that I was really interested in. Hard to find new in Calgary; and it was in the $600 range new, meaning I wasn't interested given how little I'm able to play.

Then I saw a used one on eBay, and 5 days later, a Variax 300 was mine for about half the price of a new one.

I haven't got it yet; it won't be here for about a week, and it will take me a while to figure it out. But here's the best demo video I have seen of it. Now, this is the Variax elecronics hiding inside a custom guitar. Mine is Sunburst and simple. But just listen to how this sounds, and how many sounds you can make.

No comments: