Wednesday 5 September 2007

Susan's Wedding: A Labour Day Classic

I've always said they way you can tell you're getting older is you stop going to weddings and start going to funerals. Well, with two weddings in two consecutive weeks, we've been feeling mighty young.

The first wedding was for Steve and Teresa. Steve worked for me in 2005 as a co-op student, and also house sat for us while we were in Italy (they also killed my cat, but that's another story). The "wedding" we went to wasn't really the wedding; they had done that in Ireland in July. So this was Reception #2, which enabled Teresa to wear her wedding dress a second time.



I had fun seeing most of my whole team from ConocoPhillips: Sheila, Anh, Lynda, Bill and Gary with their respective spouses. Nice to catch up with y'all (note to Lynda & Bruce: I will have you over. Soon).

The second wedding was Susan and Rick's on the long weekend. Susan has been Karen's best friend since 4th grade. For a time, when she was still painting seriously, we were patrons of her wonderful art. Karen was chief witness (there were no bridesmaids, but if there were, she would have been maid of honour); I was music man.

Susan was quite the self proclaimed "bridezilla" leading up to the wedding; I suppose when you've been waiting 50 years to get married, you're entitled. Still, there's a certain amount of charm to Susan acting a lot like Teresa; sweating cakestands and cupcakes, making the flower arrangements, finding the right coloured little doilies for the table and purses from Winners. The weather was nicer two hours later, but it was fun.







Karen and Fred the Best Man made a lovely couple. Maybe I should buy a pair of black leather pants.

No comments: