Monday 23 July 2007

Catching Up: Other Toronto Fun

I went to Toronto to see Steve, but took the opportunity to drop in on my friend Monty, and hang out with my brother and his somewhat transient family.

Monty and I go way back; I introduced him to his wife Niloufer, was best man at their wedding, and they named one of their sons Derek in my honour (I kid you not. He has turned out fine, for all you doubters). Monty and I spend the day in Toronto wandering the length of Centre Island, from the island airport end...



...to the residences of Algonquin and Ward Islands...



...and all points in between.




Along the way, we found a lady feeding her "skinny pig," which is a hairless breed of guinea pig.




My brother Alan (have you hockey fans visited his website yet? It's linked above under "Blogs of my Buds") had my experience of a typical weekend at his house. His son Colin showed up for a few hours, then disappeared. His wife Claire, God bless her sweet generous heart, went shopping a lot, especially for food. Claire's daughter spent virtually the whole time in her room being "numbed by the radiation", as Alan calls it.

His house was a construction zone when I arived. It was just like home. We're renovating the kitchen; he was landscaping the back yard, and the worker bees were frantically trying to get it finished for the Saturday night I was there, since, as usual, Alan was having about 14 people over for a BBQ. Our job is late; so was his, but his workers finished 3 hours before the guests arrived...



Good job you couldn't tell. The new grass blended right in, don't you think?

No comments: