Monday 11 June 2007

The Demolition Derby in Montreal

Am sitting in Dallas, having flown Montreal - Toronto - Calgary - Dallas today after the Canadian Grand Prix. It was a heck of a race, but the photos (all 600 of them) are sitting in the camera back in Calgary, so patience.

It was a great race, more like a battle of attrition than anything else. Lewis Hamilton won, and when they were racing, he was unstoppable, boosting his lead with every lap. But there were lots of accidents, and 4 safety car periods. The worst accident was Robert Kubica shredding his car into a million peices at 300 km/hr entering the hairpin (he was basically fine, despite having no car left when he was done). The worst for me was on lap 57 when my favourite driver, Jarno Trulli, came out of the pits on fresh tires and drove straight into the wall below my seat.

Saturday night, we went to a GP Tours event, and I got to shake hands with Sir Jackie Stewart. Also there was Giancarlo Fisichella and Pat Symonds, the tech director with the Renault team. It was a fun evening.

I'm in Dallas for a few days, and so won't get some selected photos up until later this week.

2 comments:

Keith said...

I'm always interested to know why different people pick certain drivers as their favourite - why do you support Trulli?

The Montreal circuit looks fantastic I'd love to watch the race there. I'm going to Monza this year.

Derek & Karen said...

Weird reasons, actually. At my first Canadian GP a few years back, I learned he owned a winery, and also that folks associated with Kensington Wine Merchants in Calgary were his importers. The day after the race, he was in Montreal and I got to meet him. I was impressed; you always think these guys would have world class egos, but Jarno is quite the opposite. He was quiet, thoughtfull, well spoken, and patient with me asking qestions he had probably heard a thousand times.

I also like the way he drives. He's aggresive but not brash, and he never seems to have a bad word to say about things.

On top of that, well, I hate to admit it but I liked the look of the Panasonic Toyota. In those days, Renault was an ugly blue, and I've never been a fan of Ferrari Red (if I was picking today, the Spyker Orange is great, but the team is doing very poorly). I also figured Toyota would be around a while.

Mostly, though, I just like the racing. All competition at the highest of levels is cool; F1 is like that 22 times a year.

If you're going to Monza, wear Ferrari red or you'll be lynched.

Derek