Friday 30 December 2011

Ski day 14: Rescues

Vert: 5,435 m    YTD cum vert: 67,460 m
Runs: 12    YTD cum runs: 179

SnowHosts have a bunch of jobs, including greeting and helping people at the base area, helping folks plan their day up at the map board, doing mountain tours and helping out at the ski out.

But we also do something call "courtesy patrol" where we search the mountain for people in need of help. Help can range from giving advice on routes off the mountain, to where to eat lunch, to how to get from Point A to Point B without walking (mostly for snowboarders). But the most important help we offer is to riders in distress.

Today I was on courtesy patrol, and (at the time) leading a snowboarder to the best way to access the ski out from the Angel Chair. I happened upon an accident scene, mere seconds after the accident happened. One quick call and I had patrol on scene offering medical assistance within 4 minutes of my arriving at the scene. In fact, it took me longer to get my skis off, cross them to form an X, pull off my helmet and gloves, and call the accident in to dispatch, than it did for patrol to get there after the call.

Once patrol arrives, I'm at their beck and call to help in any way needed. Given the location of the accident, they asked me to stay uphill and direct riders away from the accident scene.
Patrol on scene
So for a rather chilly and breezy 25 minutes, I swept folks from the scene as another patroller with a toboggan arrived. They packed the young man up and took him to the infirmary. I hope he'll be OK, but as he and I discussed, I think he's going to miss playing a few of his upcoming hockey games.

See my other blog here for an update of conditions today.

No comments: